Friday, April 24, 2009

Safe In the Storm, In Daddy's Arms

We had a pretty bad storm last night. It started out as rain and ugly looking clouds, and then turned to thunder, lightening and hail. We sat in our 1st floor apartment and opened up the blinds on the patio doors, turned off the light, and watched the storm. It happened around 8:00pm, and on a normal night, Timmy & Silas would have already been in bed. But on Thursday, Timmy has t-ball practice at 6:00, so our normal routine gets pushed back. We were just getting ready to put Timmy & Silas to bed when the worse part of the storm hit.

Normally, Timmy & Silas sleep right through storms. But tonight, since they were awake, Timmy was really scared. He was so scared, I wouldn't be wrong in saying he was terrified. He climbed up in his daddy's lap...that is where he feels safe. He would place his little hands over his ears so he couldn't hear the thunder or the hail hitting the windows. He would hide his face into daddy's chest every now and then when the lightening would get really bad. Silas was oblivious to the loudness of the storm and continued to run around the house as if nothing is happening. But, once he saw "Mimmy" get on Daddy's lap...up he crawled too.

I sat on the couch and took in the sight of my most precious gifts. My husband, a man who means more to me than there are words to describe it; my oldest son, Timmy, almost 6 years old, who is so smart and absolutely the funniest kid I know; and my precious baby, Silas, almost 2 years old and will do just about anything that "Mimmy" does. ("Mimmy" is how Silas says "Timmy" - it's so precious) I sat there watching my husband with his big, strong arms, cradling his sons, showing them strength, giving them protection, reassuring them that everything is going to be ok,"You are safe in my arms"...and then something hit me...

...that is how WE as children of God should feel. When things in our life are uncertain, when our children are sick, when we don't have enough money coming in, when the future is unclear, when we are scared...WE can have the assurance that we are safely in God's arms. HE is right there beside us.

My new favorite song is by Tenth Avenue North, and it's called By Your Side. It's a song sung as if God is singing to us. The words to this song have brought me so much comfort in these past few months. Here are the words:

Why are you striving these days
Why are you trying to earn grace
Why are you crying
Let me lift up your face
Just don't turn away

Why are you looking for love
Why are you searching as if I'm not enough
To where will you go child
Tell me where will you run
To where will you run

Chorus:
'Cause I'll be by your side
Wherever you fall
In the dead of night
Whenever you call
Please don't fight
These hands that are holding you
My hands are holding you

Look at these hands and my side
They swallowed the grave on that night
When I drank the world's sin
So I could carry you in
And give you life
I want to give you life

(Chorus 2x)

Cause I, I love you
I want you to know
That I, I love you
I'll never let you go

(Chorus 2x)

So, just as Timmy & Silas were safe in their daddy's arms last night. I am also safe in my Heavenly Father's arms. That is such an awesome thing to know. We are TRULY blessed beyond all measure.

No comments: